The Syrian Young Leaders Programme (SYLP) is designed by Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) and part of the foundation’s strategy to support youth in the Middle East and North Africa.
This programme seeks to promote the participation of young Syrians in the political and socio-economic life. We provide comprehensive training to a selected group of young people who share a vision for and a belief in their country and its potential and are willing to contribute constructively to the political and social development of Syria.
The programme brings participants together to increase their knowledge and analytical skills with the help of qualified and renowned trainers and enhance their ability to initiate sustainable initiatives. The programme also provides a platform for the participants to debate, discuss, and advance their ideas and visions together with academics, activists, and journalists.
The modules of the programme cover training on:
- Leadership, Communication & Critical Thinking Skills
- Project Management & Project Design
- Political & Social Sciences with a special focus on Syria
- Political Economy & Social Justice
- Gender Equality, Human Rights, Democracy and Rule of Law
In the end, the participants are encouraged to develop politically and socially relevant initiatives and implement them with the support of FES.
What to expect:
- Improve your knowledge and understanding of politics and social issues and enhance your advocacy skills in these areas.
- Enhance and improve communication and analysis skills as well as political and social activism.
- Participate in the debate on important current issues at the regional, national and international levels.
- Work on networking with peers and representatives of political life and civil society.
The program consists of a series of nine sessions, approximately one session per month between February 2021 and October 2021.
The sessions will be held online as long as strict COVID-19 related measures apply in Lebanon. Each workshop is comprised of three units with each unit being between 3-4 hours in duration, depending on the complexity of the subject matter.
Once gatherings for workshops and trainings are possible again, workshops will take place in and around Beirut. The format for in-person workshops will be two and a half days over a weekend. Please note that sessions held online can be conducted completely anonymously. As with all FES activities, high data protection and cyber security standards apply.
Profile of the Applicants:
- Young Syrians between the ages of 22-30 years with a keen interest in political, social and economic development.
- Demonstrate political or social engagement and a desire to achieve a positive change.
- High level of motivation to learn and engage with peers.
- Ability to commit to the period of the programme, participants are required to attend all sessions.
No priority is given to certain university majors, educational attainment, or careers. FES is committed to have a diverse group of participants. Religious or social background, area of residence, gender and sexual orientation will not affect the final decision on any application.
FES highly encourages qualified female candidates to apply.
How to apply:
Applications and questions can be sent to: [email protected]
Only applications that include all the following documents will be considered:
The application form filled with all required information (attached)
- An updated CV
- A letter of recommendation from a (former) university professor/supervisor at work, highlighting the applicant’s strengths and how she/he fits the programme.
Deadline for the applications 10 January 2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an online interview with the selection committee before the start of the programme.
للغة العربية يمكنكم الاطلاع على المرفق أعلاه.