Under the overall guidance of the RC/HC and the Co-Chairs of the RMWG, and the direct supervision of the Risk Management Specialist, the Risk Management Officer will be responsible for supporting the UNCT and the HCT on the ongoing risk management work. (S)he will have responsibility and accountability to contribute to the UN’s risk management framework in Syria.
Under the direct supervision of the Risk Management Specialist, the Risk Management Officer will be working in close collaboration with the RCO, OCHA, the UN Risk Management Working Group (RMWG), the Accountability to Affected Populations Working Group, UN Agencies and the UNCT/HCT. (S)he should promote knowledge building and knowledge sharing on the areas of specialty related to her/his functions.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Improving the operational response and effectiveness in the Syria operation:
- Mainstream risk culture and ensure effective functioning of the UN’s risk management framework
- Support the Risk Management Specialist in her/his functions as UNCT/HCT main focal point for Risk Management and contribute to the inter-agency level Risk Management System
- Support cross-practice capacity risk assessments
- Support the UN Risk Management Working Group (RMWG) in following up with assigned focal points and support the preparation of updates to the UNCT/HCT common risk register and preparing inputs on risks for the UN integrated risk management workplan
- Support the Risk Management Specialist and the RMWG in assessing and analyzing the operating environment in Syria, keeping abreast of the evolving situation with regards to hazard, financial, programmatic, and operational risks
- Support the Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) Working Group in the formulation and implementation of its annual workplan
Enhancing complementarity of actions and collaboration among UN agencies and the broader Humanitarian Country Team:
- Support the Risk Management Specialist in the development of a comprehensive risk management strategy to support and strengthen UNCT/HCT existing risk management activities and common approaches
- Identify the potential causes of non-compliance based on recurring audit findings and observations from various audits and internal reviews conducted
- Support carrying out periodic spot-checks and internal reviews of selected measures
- Contribute to documenting systems and controls to determine their adequacy and effectiveness, ensuring compliance with policies and procedures, reliability and integrity of information and economical use of resources
- Support the Risk Management Specialist and the RMWG in monitoring key risks across the humanitarian partner network, analyzing control effectiveness and progress for implementing mitigation strategies
- Analyzing emerging themes/gaps from both agency- and system-wide oversight findings
- Support regular updates/reports together with other technical working groups (RMWG, HACT, and AAP)
- Provide secretariat support, as necessary, to relevant risk management efforts overseen by different technical coordination mechanisms -PMT, OMT, PSEA network, HACT, etc., are coherent and consolidated in one place for UNCT/HCT adequate decision-making.
Strengthening accountability for results and resources:
- As part of managing partner risks, provide support to Risk Management Specialist concerning interactions/liaison with donors and partners including in the preparation of inter-agency reports, and reporting to donors on due diligence measures and results
- Support the Risk Management Specialist in the development of quality briefs and options to the UNCT/HCT on issues related to the nexus between Programme/Operations and Main Office/Area Offices in close cooperation with respective teams
- Support the Risk Management Specialist in the preparation of working papers, reports and presentations on audit, risks, and other strategic issues to the RMWG Co-chairs and UNCT/HCT in collaboration with the RMWG.
Ensuring targeted advocacy and information sharing both internally and externally on actions taken on risk management and due diligence:
- Contribute substantively to risk management products and communications for public information (e.g., risk management one pager with facts, services… as well as summary risk register, etc.) that can be regularly shared with external stakeholders under the direction of the RMWG co-chairs and UNCT/HCT.
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing as required by the organization
- Collect and share best practices and lessons learned
- Remain current on evolving risk management standards and leading risk management practices
- Support the Risk Management Specialist and RMWG in the development of internal capacity on risk management among programme and operations staff
- Support provisions of training on appropriate accountability, oversight, and monitoring strategies and implementation of corporate guidance;
Supervisory/Managerial Responsibilities: N/A
- Achieve Results – LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively – LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously – LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility – LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination – LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner – LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion – LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Functional & Technical competencies:
- Financial Reporting and Analysis – Apply and Adapt: Ability to evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful manner.
- Quality Assurance- Apply and Adapt: Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled.
- Operational Efficiency – Apply and Adapt: Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency.
- Internal Reporting and Accountability- Apply and Adapt: Ability to create internal reporting and accountability processes and standards.
- Change Management – Apply and Adapt: Ability to apply a systematic approach to adapt, control and effect change.
- Risk Assessment – Apply and Adapt: Ability to identify, assess and prioritize risks, and organize action around mitigating them.
- Knowledge Management – Apply and Adapt: Ability to capture, develop, share, and effectively use information and knowledge.
- Master’s degree in business or management with + 2 Years of progressively responsible experience in risk management and compliance or related areas such as audit, finance monitoring and evaluation, international development, or other relevant fields.
- A first-level university in Business or Public Administration, Finance/Accounting degree, in combination with 4 years of relevant qualifying experience may be accepted.
Experience, knowledge and Skills
- Master’s degree in business or management with at least 2 years of progressively responsible experience in risk management and compliance or related areas such as audit, finance monitoring and evaluation, or management advisory services, or first degree with 4 years of progressively responsible experience in the field outlined above
- Experience in auditing, consulting, or reviewing procedures for programme/project implementation, risk management within the UN system or in the private sector is highly desirable
- Advanced user of computers and office software packages and experience in handling of web-based management systems is highly desirable
- Knowledge of the UN system, standard operating procedures, accountability, and compliance mechanisms is an advantage
- Experience in coordination, communication of results, monitoring and evaluation or audit of projects, programs, or organisations is an advantage.
- Ability to coordinate multi-agency approach to operational and fiduciary risks is and experience in engagement or evaluation of IPs, and compliance reviews is an advantage;
- Experience with working in a multi-national setting with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Language requirements: (Fluency in both English and Arabic Required)