In response to the UN Security Council Resolutions on Youth, Peace and Security (USCR 2250 and 2419), the first International Symposium on Youth Participation in Peace Processes took place in Helsinki, Finland from 5-6 March 2019. The Symposium brought together over 100 participants from 45 different countries with expertise on peace and mediation processes. Participants included young peacebuilders, senior-level peace mediators and negotiators, government ministers, the United Nations, African Union and European Union, representatives.
The Symposium was co-hosted by the Government of Finland, Colombia and the State of Qatar, and co-organized by the Office of the United Nations Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth (OSGEY) and Search for Common Ground (Search), in partnership with the United Nations Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA), the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and the United Network of Young Peacebuilders (UNOY).
Young people’s engagement in peace negotiation was the main theme discussed at the Symposium. To move efforts forward collectively and efficiently, the first Global Policy Paper on youth participation in peace processes, ‘We are here: An integrated approach to youth-inclusive peace processes’ was developed in conjunction with the Symposium. It provides a comprehensive overview of youth participation in past and current peace processes and demonstrates that youth influence does not always correlate with proximity to the negotiation table. The recommendation from the Global Policy Paper is in the pilot implementation phase. It will be reported on during the high-level Global Conference in Doha, Qatar, from 29-30 May 2021, to develop a five-year strategy.
To celebrate and acknowledge the powerful role that young women and men play in building and sustaining peace, the Global Conference will build on the progress made since the adoption of UNSCR 2250 on Youth, Peace and Security in 2015 and on the International Symposium on Youth Participation in Peace Processes in Helsinki. It will bring together actors constructively influencing peacebuilding and peace processes, including heads of governments, donors, regional and intergovernmental leaders and young people to elevate the important role all play in peacebuilding and peace processes.
The high-level Global Conference will provide participants with a dynamic platform for strategic and result-oriented discussions while giving political voice and credibility to a growing YPS agenda.
To be eligible to apply, the applicant must be between 15-32 years old and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Is actively involved in leading inclusive youth, peace and security (YPS) agenda in your community and beyond;
- Has created space for youth and youth issues to be part of peace processes in any layer of connection to the room (please refer to the above-mentioned paper);
- Has experience engaging with youth in securing national commitments from state institutions on key peace and security agenda;
- Has worked on the intersection of gender, YPS agenda, for example, through gender-sensitive approaches to youth-led peacebuilding and/or youth mainstreaming in Women, Peace and Security agenda
Other desirable experience could include:
- Mediation, negotiation and dialogue facilitation in armed conflict contexts;
- Membership of youth committees or other mechanisms/commissions responsible for the implementation of agreements;
- Formal and information implementation of UNSCR 2250;
- Participation in shaping justice, reconciliation, or security sector reform nationally.
Those interested in applying, please fill out the form and send it to [email protected] by 4th Jan 2021.
تبحث مؤسسة التعليم فوق الجميع Education Above All Foundation عن مشاركين من #الشباب و #الشابات لحضور المؤتمر العالمي الرفيع المستوى في قطر بشأن عمليات السلام الشاملة, وللاحتفال والاعتراف بالدور القوي الذي يلعبه الشباب والشابات في بناء السلام واستدامته >
إذا كان عمرك بين 15 و35 وتريد أن تصنع فرقاً في عالم اليوم والغد،
إقرأ المتطلبات https://bit.ly/3mXDDd1
وقدم طلبك من خلال ملء الملف المرفق وإرساله عبر الايميل [email protected]
ينتهي التقديم في 4/1/2021