About the Scholarship
The 100 Syrian Women, 10,000 Syrian Lives Scholarship is open to Syrian women who have demonstrated exemplary social service with leadership, academic excellence, and civic responsibility, who have characteristics reflecting the importance of empathy, humility, courage, and resilience, and who have potential to serve as global leaders. In 2021, Jusoor proudly partnered with McGill University to provide full scholarships to two Syrian women.
Now, Jusoor and McGill University have committed to award up to 2 scholarships for Syrian women to begin their bachelor degrees in Fall 2023 at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Please note that the scholarship is available only to female students who are interested in pursuing their undergraduate education at McGill University, Canada. For an overview of available study programs, you may check the ViewBook publication which contains a full list of programs starting on page 22, or the searchable webpage here.
Please note that Medicine, Dentistry, Law, Music and Architecture are excluded from consideration and students may not apply for these programs as part of the scholarship.
- Be female
- Be Syrian, Palestinian-Syrian or having a Syrian Travel Document
- Have graduated from high school or expect to graduate by August 2023
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher – Students must submit their 10, 11 and 12th-grade transcripts. In addition to their university transcripts if they are currently enrolled in a program. For more information general admission requirements, please visit: https://www.mcgill.ca/undergraduate-admissions/apply/requirements/international
- Demonstrate English Language Proficiency by providing an IELTS/ TOEFL exam certificate, Duolingo exam result or one of the alternatives available on the link here: https://www.mcgill.ca/undergraduate-admissions/apply/english-proficiency
- Have a strong record of leadership and community engagement, as demonstrated through volunteer and/or work experience
- Demonstrate willingness and intent to contribute to the redevelopment of Syria
- Be willing to engage with Jusoor’s community.
- Demonstrate financial need
- Preferably reside in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Türkiye, Egypt or Iraq.
Please note that:
- Some programs might have additional requirements, please be careful when choosing these programs in your application as you will be asked to provide the additional documents to complete your admission. Failure to submit any additional required documents will lead to the rejection of your application. For further information, please browse here or see a complete list on page 22 of McGill’s ViewBook.
- Jusoor will pay for Duolingo English testing for shortlisted candidates only. Candidates will be informed if they are shortlisted by the end of February 2023.
- Academic achievement
- Personal achievement and leadership
- Financial need
- Interest in and commitment towards rebuilding Syria
The Scholarship will cover full tuition and mandatory ancillary fees for the normal duration of the awardees’ program based on full-time studies. Additionally, the scholarship will offer a living stipend (CAD $2,000/month) for 46 months, book allowance (CAD $500/semester) for 8 semesters, student health insurance (CAD $1,500/academic year) for 4 years and a total airfare allowance of up to CA D$4,000 disbursed upon receipts submitted to the school.
Visa fees, including costs for sending documents, and travel to visa appointments and application fees, are counted with the airfare allowance. It is also worth noting that these amounts are not binding and no rights should be obtained from this announcement until a final decision has been made and an agreement has been signed. Although Jusoor is happy and willing to provide financial guidance, the awardee is responsible for managing their funds very wisely.
Please note Jusoor cannot disburse any funds, including the visa cost reimbursement until the awardee arrives in their country of study and opens a local bank account. All 100 Syrian Women scholars receive their awards on a semesterly basis and as transfers to the partner school on behalf of the student. The partner school manages fund transfers to the student. Jusoor will book the scholar’s flight to Canada.
How to Apply
Candidates must apply through this online application. Do not apply to the university. If you are selected by Jusoor as a scholar, you will apply to the university then.
For more information :