About the Scholarship
The Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) is a public university located in the city of Barcelona in Catalonia, Spain. UAB ranks second in Spain and is among the 100 best European universities. It is known for its high quality research and teaching. They offer over 36 graduate programs taught entirely in English.
The Fundació Autònoma Solidaria (FAS) is an NGO affiliated with the university that aims to promote social change. One of their programs is to engage refugee and asylum seeking youth in education. Jusoor has established a partnership with FAS and UAB to support up to two Syrian students to study at UAB.
- meet the academic requirements of UAB; it is their responsibility to determine whether they do by visiting the respective program pages.
- be Syrian, Palestinian-Syrian or have a Syrian Travel Document
- have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- not already have a master’s degree
- demonstrate at least C1 English Language Proficiency according to the European Framework of Reference for Languages (exceptions might be made for a B2 level)
- Provide an IELTS/ TOEFL exam certificate if they have one
- have a strong record of leadership and community engagement, as demonstrated through volunteer and/or work experience
- demonstrate willingness and intent to contribute to the redevelopment of Syria
- be willing to engage with the Jusoor and FAS communities
- be living in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, Egypt or Iraq.
Candidates must demonstrate at least C1 English Language Proficiency according to the European Framework of Reference for Languages. Please refer to this chart for your self-assessment:
We look for a balance of the following:
1) strong GPA and record of academic achievement
2) volunteer and/or work experience relevant to your field of study
3) proven leadership ability as demonstrated through volunteer and/or work experience
4) willingness and demonstrated intent to contribute to the redevelopment of Syria, and to engage with Jusoor and participate in the FAS community.
5) a clear and realistic plan for personal and career success post-graduation.
6) Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate financial need.
The scholarship will cover full tuition fees, living expenses (EUR 13,000 for 12 months), health insurance (up to EUR 300) and travel costs (up to EUR 700).
How to Apply
Candidates must apply through this online application. Candidates should not apply through the university, but it is their responsibility to ensure that they meet the academic requirements of the program to which they are applying. Please visit their website for more information.
We expect to conduct interviews with shortlisted candidates from mid to late March 2023 and select awardees by mid-April 2022. All applicants will be notified via e-mail of their status after each stage of the selection process.
For more information :