The British Council creates international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and builds trust between them worldwide. We call this work cultural relations.
We work in over 100 countries worldwide to build engagement and trust for the UK through the exchange of knowledge and ideas between people.
We work in the arts, education, English, science and sport and last year we engaged face to face with 18.4 million people and reached 652 million. We are a non-political organisation which operates at arm’s length from government. Our total turnover in 2009/10 was £705 million, of which our grant-in-aid from the British government was £211 million. For every £1 of government grant we receive, we earn £2.50 from other sources.
We have been in Lebanon since 1942 and changed the lives of thousands of people, connecting them with the United Kingdom, sharing our cultures and the UK’s most attractive assets: English, the Arts, Education and our ways of living and organising society.
So, whether you are aiming to learn the English language in Lebanon or in the UK, seeking for funding your studies, asking for assistance in searching a course in the UK, requiring a UK exam such as IELTS, or wanting to engage with the UK arts, education, or society sectors, we are in Lebanon as in other 220 cities around the globe running such operations and many other activities.
WHAT WE DO
• Promote UK education
• Teach English to young learners and adults
• Work with teachers on developing their skills
• Provide learning opportunities for professionals
• Offer IELTS and Cambridge University examinations
• Administer UK’s university and professional examinations
• Run competitive scholarships for postgraduate studies in the UK
• Develop education programmes and provide access to UK expertise in the English language
• Create opportunities and foster partnerships between Lebanon and the UK in areas of arts, society and education