SHELTER PROJECT MANAGER
ABOUT THE MISSION IN SYRIA
SI, which has been present in Syria since 2013 is dedicated to work on recently opened and challenging areas to provide lifesaving activities to the population affected by the conflict. Main current activities are related to emergency wash (water distribution and rehabilitation) and distribution of essential NFI (winterization) and cash.
The mission is expanding through a major consortium with 4 partners led by SI. The LEARN consortium (Linking Assistance and Relief in Northeast Syria) will support equitable and safe access to essential basic services including WASH, Shelter and Health, for the most vulnerable populations affected by conflict and displacement in Northeast Syria.
ABOUT THE JOB...
The program manager is in charge of implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the proposals.
He/she guarantees the proper execution and the quality of the implemented program and, if applicable, suggests adjustments or developments to ensure its relevance.
The project manager will be under the supervision of the deputy field coordinator – programme.
The project manager will supervise directly a team leader and indirectly 5 shelters Officers.
Project relevance, quality and design
- Contribute to establishing assessments
- Contribute to define Solidarités International’s local strategy and contribute to the annual programming by proposing new activities
- Organize and facilitate evaluation missions
- Propose a technical approach and a financial, human and logistical scope for the programs to be implemented
- Write the technical annexes and chapters (including the logical framework) for the proposals
- Implement activities in compliance with the annual operational strategy, Solidarités International’s technical requirements and the financial donors’ criteria
- Evaluate the relevance of the activities carried out, as well as the effectiveness of the interventions and their appropriateness with respect to contextual developments and the populations’ needs
- Propose adjustments to the programs, if necessary
- Ensure that the programs under his/her supervision achieve the required results
- Ensure that program objectives meet sustainability requirements and, if required, compliance with established norms and standards
Ensure Implementation and operational monitoring
- Plan activities and activity cycles for Shelter (hiring, purchasing, etc.) in the light of established objectives
- Used the project management, monitoring and evaluation tools for Shelter, particularly the planning and monitoring timeline
- Propose and implement quality criteria and monitoring indicators for Shelter program
- Support and advise to the base’s logistical department for the purchase of specific materials for Shelter activities
- Plan and supervise the Shelter program implementation he/she is in charge of, being sure to meet deadlines and adhere to predefined technical specifications
- Supervise and provide support for the Shelter managers; monitor and evaluate the implemented Shelter activities
- Anticipate any issues linked to carrying out the Shelter activities and help to resolve any problems related to the Shelter activities
- Working with the administrative department, contribute to developing budgets relative to his/her program and monitor expenses and budget forecasts
- Working with given project manager, draw up requirement statuses and cash flow needs.
- Use the capitalization tools proposed by Solidarités International
- Participate in the centralization and distribution of procedures, guides and tools linked to the Shelter activities
- Capitalize on intervention methods and techniques and on the experiences acquired by Solidarités and other participants in the Shelter activities
- Write procurement and handover reports before the end of his/her contract and send it to the appropriate persons on the mission and at headquarters
- Participate in validating the hiring of national technical staff for activities
- Define the prerequisites for opened Shelter positions together with the administrative department; adapt existing job descriptions if required
- Greet and brief the expatriates working on the program
- Identify and pass on any training needs for Shelter teams
- Set up technical training depending on Shelter operational needs and identified training requirements
- Manage and support the team under his/her responsibility
- Lead work groups and thematic meetings
- Evaluate and assess the performance of colleagues under his/her direct supervision
- Ensure adherence to security regulations by personnel under his/her supervision
Reporting / communication / representation
- Pass upward to the relevant persons any information on the security situation or on any event that could impact Solidarités activities and the safety of the teams
- Draft activity reports and any annexes relating to specific activities for the financial donor reports and/or amendments
- Ensure that all reports are delivered on time and in the correct format
- Maintain a local operational communications network and good relations with local and government authorities, financial donor representatives, UN agencies and other international agencies
- In his/her assignment area, represent Solidarités International’s at meetings or forums concerning the Shelter activities
- Represent the organization when asked and/or delegated to do so
- Reply to headquarter information requests regarding specific needs
- In collaboration with the program coordinator, prepare the administrative documents (MOU, handover, etc.) to be jointly signed with government authorities, communities or partners
The main challenges will be:
- To develop a relevant implementation strategy taking into account different context evolution scenarios
- To anticipate and mitigate risks and trouble-shoot any unforeseen challenges during the project implementation
- To ensure the quality of the activities
- To identify and target beneficiaries, taking into account the important need of coordination between numerous stakeholders in the field each having their own agenda
- To manage the Shelter team
The priorities for the 2/3 first months will be:
- To coordinate with different humanitarian actors to identify gaps in shelter needs
- To coordinate with the Shelter-lead agency for the design of the shelters and implementation strategy
- To recruit and train the team.
Security inside Notheast Syria is volatile and justifies specific arrangements for accommodation and movement in the areas of intervention. Adherence to strict security procedures is necessary, while the security levels can vary according to the different geographical locations and the changes of context.
- A degree in a relevant field, such as Project Management, Humanitarian Studies, International
- Knowledge of shelter standards and practices
- A qualification in architecture/engineering or other related field
- A minimum of 2 years of field experience in humanitarian relief and/or development programs focused on shelter construction, settlement planning and identification of beneficiaries.
- Extensive experience in the identification and targeting of beneficiaries in a complex context
- Experience working in security-sensitive environments
- Prior experience in Syria or a similar context is an added advantage
- Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal English
- Strong computer skills (Excel, Word, Google Earth, Design Software)
- Self-motivated and able to work with a minimum of guidance and supervision
- A calm person who has proven diplomatic skills
- English: fluent with excellent writing capacities
- Arabic: will be an asset
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post: starting from 1980 € gross per month, according to experience (1800 € base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 700 USD.
Vacation: during the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time-off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 750 USD allocated by Solidarités). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarités will cover travel costs).
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
HOW TO APPLY:
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link :
CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/