Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Established in 1950, World Vision International operates in nearly 100 countries worldwide. It is a relief, development and advocacy organization dedicated to working with communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty. We serve all people regardless of religion, race, ethnicity or gender.
The scope of the organization is world-wide. Its ministries are varied depending on the needs and contexts of the respective countries in which it operates. For more information on the history of World Vision, please visit the website on www.wvi.org
Northern Syria, Idleb
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Officer is responsible for managing operations of the relief projects’ MEL system to support programme management and accountability functions. He/she contributes toward the relevance, effectiveness and efficiency of the MEAL unit as well as the overall World Vision programming. He/she also works with the MEAL team in building the capacity of the MEL staff and other project staff on monitoring and evaluation principles and systems.
This position is crucial to the management and implementation of programs by providing a strong evidence base and continual learning to improve monitoring of programs, ensure that lessons learnt are built into improved program delivery and program design and to build the capacity of partner NGO staff to strengthen their monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning systems and approaches.
The Senior MEL officer will be responsible for working closely with WV programs field staff, partner NGO staff and WV MEL Officers to develop and implement best-practice monitoring and evaluation tools and assessments. This will include training field staff (both WVI MEL Officers and partner NGO staff) on best practice approaches to data collection, including ensuring the confidentiality and rights of beneficiaries are respected. The Senior MEL officer will support the analysis of results and help develop products to disseminate the findings of surveys and assessments, including drafting assessment reports.
The Senior MEL officer will support program design by tracking progress against program-wide monitoring indicators and collecting and drafting information relevant to improving the evidence base for the design of programs.
· Assist in having an M&E system in place that serves the MEAL unit as well as the projects
· Manage the implementation of project specific M&E plans in alignment with donor and World Vision requirements
· Coach and provide support to project field staff in ensuring their projects’ success, including needs assessments, pre-post tests, datasets, indicator tracking tables, Means of Verifications, data collection and verification activities, etc
· Ensure that each project has M&E frameworks including M&E plans and Indicator Tracking Tables completed, updated by Project/ Partner staff, and verified on a monthly basis.
· Ensure that Project ITTs are verified on a monthly basis by MEL Officers and share the ITTs with the MEL coordinator on a timely manner
· Manage the identification and design of appropriate tools, datasets and procedures of monitoring at each level of the objective hierarchy; including Post Distribution Monitoring, Onsite Monitoring Surveys, Observations, Outcome Monitoring, among others
· Produce reports as per M&E plan’s reporting schedule and in accordance with donor and/or World Vision requirements
· Conduct qualitative and quantitative data analysis jointly with MEL Officers
· Assist in uploading project specific M&E details on the proper information management software
· Assist in the design and costing of baseline, evaluations and needs assessment surveys and provide direct support for the exercises
· Provide support to external consultants and individuals sub-contracted to implement special surveys or studies required for evaluating project effects and impacts
· Assist in organizing trainings on M&E principles for capacity development and awareness among relevant World Vision staff
· Conduct coaching for MEL Officers and enumerators on M&E frameworks, data collection methodologies, data analysis, etc.
· Provide supervision for MEL Officers on a daily basis
· Oversee casual workers supervision and management
· Conduct performance agreement for MEL Officers Ensure that project level means of verification are available and organized at project sites
· Participate and attend local and international capacity building events as required
· Participate in spiritual nurture events as well as any other organizational event
Undergraduate Degree in international development, international relations, public health, nutrition, statistics, rural development, or other relevant discipline is required
Experience in design and implementation of M&E systems; including qualitative and quantitative approaches to assessment and monitoring is required
Experience in data processing or analysis (Excel, etc.) is required
Ability to organize and facilitate capacity building/ enhancement for staff is required
Fluency in speaking English and Arabic is required
Good report writing skills in English and information dissemination skills is required
Detailed oriented and able to verify data quality
Communicates with integrity to different stakeholders (strong interpersonal skills)
Good contextual knowledge of local community and social/cultural constraints, realities and organizational relationships
Inspires trust within/outside of the organization
Develops high levels of credibility and accountability
Stays open to internal and external feedback
Agrees with the mission, vision and core values of WV
Finds fulfillment in work through creativity, risk taking, initiative, and innovation, and encourages the same in colleagues.
Minimum two to three years of experience in working in a relief or development agency (preferably in the monitoring and evaluation domain)
About 1 year of relevant work experience in a supervisory level (good human resource management skills)
A full commitment to World Vision’s core values and humanitarian mandate
Adherence to World Vision Child Protection, Code of Conduct, and Conflict of Interest policies.
Full adherence to security protocols
Sensitivity and respect for diversity
Basic working knowledge of statistical packages (Excel, etc.) is required
Preferred working knowledge of advanced excel
Preferred knowledge of ODK database/SMAP server
Understands the application of policy and the impact of decisions
Understands fundraising, relief, development and advocacy issues, including operational consequences
Understands international standards in humanitarian protection and accountability (e.g. HAP, SPHERE, Red Cross Code of Conduct, etc)
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested to apply, please send a cover letter and your detailed CV in English addressing relevant qualifications and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail. (Please ensure that CV includes names and contact details of at least 3 referees/references).
In the subject line of your e-mail message, please, mention the title of the position you are applying for. Only short listed candidates will be notified for the interview.
The deadline for submitting the applications is 05 March 2019. Applications submitted before the deadline will be reviewed and considered upon receipt.