from Concern Worldwide
Closing date: 25 Sep 2019
About the role: This is a 12-month role with unaccompanied terms based in Kobane, Syria with a salary of Grade 3 €36,527 - €40,586.
You will report to the Logistics Coordinator and will line manage the logistics team, including one officer and two assistants. You will report to the Logistics Coordinator and will provide technical support to all the Logistics team in different offices working closely with the Systems Director.
We would like you to start on October 2019.
You will be responsible for managing logistics activities under the supervision of the Logistics Coordinator and will work closely with the Systems Director, Programme Director, District Managers, Country Finance Controller and Programme Managers to ensure the effective implementation of Concern’s programmes in country.
You will be responsible for:
- Preparing and rolling out guidance notes for users on specific areas of Logistics procedures
- Prepare and roll out country-specific logistics and administrative policies, procedures and flow charts in line with Concern’s global policies and provide training and briefings on these to relevant staff
- Liaise with logistics managers of other International NGOs and UN agencies, sharing best practice and practical information
- Assist the programmes team in the procurement planning during proposals and implementation period
- Conduct regular assessments of the Logistic department in each office. Support Logistics team with their work plans, communication and strategy after analysis in line with recommendation agreed with the Logistics Coordinator
- Conduct regular spot checks in each office for different logistics’ duties and ensure the compliance of applied practices with organisational internal rules and procedures
- Support the Logistics Coordinator in the draft of flow charts adapted to bases’ organisations and set up, and according to Concern’s and donors regulation, on each logistics’ subject: Procurement, Transport, Stocks and Property management.
- Provide technical leadership and advice to Logistics department staff and to managers in all locations on specific logistics issues
- Support and review the logistics and administrative aspects and budgets of each donor proposal or internal Concern budget review prior to submission and provide feedback and/or advise where necessary
- At the start of any new donor contract, will participate in the grant-opening meeting to identify and communicate all donor-specific logistics requirements to the relevant team to ensure compliance throughout the duration of the project.
- Support the logistics aspects of donor reports
- Accountable for Concern and donor procurement procedures being implemented and complied with
- Assist the Logistics Coordinator on follow up of all project procurement plan which will be prepared prior to and implemented immediate at the start of each new project
- Ensuring supply and construction contracts done under local procurement are both technical and legally sound
- Negotiating with major suppliers and implementing framework agreements with for frequently purchased items for those which can be carried locally
- Reviewing Supplies Requests (SR) tracking sheet before sharing it to Coordination with relevant KPI
- Maintaining the contract tracking management sheet at local stage
- Ensuring that procurement files are stored electronically and in hard copy as per Concern and Donor regulations in each office and saved regularly
- Responsible for RFQ/RFP launching, bid analysis, contract development and contract management.
- Reinforce current procedures and the quality of Concern internal control, based on international best practices, organizational and donor requirements and results of internal and external audits
- Follow up of procurement deliveries on regular basis.
- Communication with field office(s) via e-mail, skype or cell phone in order to provide on time procurement supports.
- Conduct frequent market surveys and maintain a strong knowledge of the local market in Syria;
- Providing accurate documents to Finance regarding vendor’s payment to ensure smooth processing of payments
- Closely work with the Systems Director and district mangers to identify the gaps in procurement system and suggest improvements.
- Other duties as assigned by the Systems Director.
Stock and Property Management
- Contribute to identifying warehouses/storage space based on needs in the area, with a strategic view of flows and interconnections between Concern offices in coordination with the DM.
- Ensuring staff skills on stock and inventory management are up to date
- Ensuring fixed asset registers are updated and verified regularly
- Ensuring optimised management of assets
- Ensuring all procedures and documents relating to asset management are followed and assets are safe guarded with physical checks in line with Concern Logistics Manual
- Ensuring donation certificates with recipient signatures are obtained and filed for all assets and equipment donated to beneficiaries/partner groups
- Ensuring correct and adequate management of donations-in-kind paperwork, procedures and reporting
- Contribute to maintain and disseminate a monthly stock report for every project
- Periodically provide the Log Coordinator with a list of obsolete items
- Handle periodic inventories and clear stock discrepancies in a documented manner.
- Leading and supporting logistics team inside Syria by capacity building, on-the-job training and coaching
- Supporting the Logistics Coordinator in job description drafting in order to match set up needs
- Monitoring and reviewing performance against set objectives, giving corrective feedback where required and taking decisive action in the case of poor performance
- Identifying and taking appropriate action to fill resource gaps
- Ensuring effective fleet management is in place, in accordance with Concern procedures.
- Assessing transport requirements for the programmes on a regular basis and implanting changes when necessary
- Review and ensure the good communication of different weekly reports on procurement, stocks and transport by bases to the Logistics Coordinator
- The logistics manager will adhere to Concern’s Code of Conduct and its associated policies and will report to the Country Director if there are any suspected breeches of these.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Relevant graduate qualification
- Two years relevant logistics/systems and management experience in emergency and/or development context
- Excellent written and spoken English with good communications skills
- Arabic language skills is an advantage
- Experience in managing, coaching and training others
- Experience on setting-up of logistical systems and related administrative procedures
- knowledge of international ordering procedures and documents i.e. cargo manifests, warehouse management skills, good understanding of in-country custom clearing procedures and supply line to projects from capital, ability to design air, water or land logistical systems)
- Experience of working in insecure environments
- knowledge of security management systems and approaches for NGO’s
- Empathy with Concern’s vision, mission, goals and objectives, and our target group
- Computer literate and excellent knowledge of word and excel
We would also like:
- You to have excellent negotiation skills
- You to be able to work under pressure and to strict deadlines
- You to be culturally sensitive and empathic to others
- You to have some sense of humour
- Ability to travel for long distances and work under pressure
- A ‘can-do’ attitude
HOW TO APPLY:
All applications should be submitted through our website at https://jobs.concern.net by closing date. CV’s should be no more than 4 pages in length.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short-listed on a regular basis and we may offer posts before the closing date.
Concern Worldwide is an Irish-based non-governmental, international, humanitarian organisation dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries.