Geographic Information Sysystem (GIS) Technician
DanChurchAid (DCA) invites applications for a Geographic Information System (GIS) technician for the Syria & Iraq programme. This is a non-family position based in North East Syria (NES).
The DCA Syria & Iraq programme is a growing programme with a 3-year footprint in northern Syria and 1-year footprint in Iraq. The activities are wide-ranging and include risk education, survey, clearance of explosive hazards, cash transfers, vocational training, NFI distribution, psychosocial support and early recovery.
As the GIS technician for North East Syria (NES) you will refer directly to the clearance Operations Manager (OM) for NES and be responsible for all information and data management for the humanitarian mine action activities of DCA in NES. You will be responsible for all mapping tasks and you will play a key role in recording and reporting DCA activities for sharing with other actors in the mine action sector, donors and all other relevant stakeholders. The GIS technician will have responsibility for data collection and reporting is in line with IMAS, using IMSMA forms.
Main technical tasks and responsibilities include:
- Preparation, conception and production of maps;
- Ensure accurate linkages between spatial databases and assessment data;
- Ensure that the produced maps and reports meet the requirements of IMAS and IMSMA;
- Supervise and monitor mapping related data collection;
- Monitor accuracy of data collected. Cross check data collected in the field, ensure regular updates and solve eventual discrepancies;
- Manage, update and share weekly/monthly activity updates
- Data cleaning, management, and merging;
- Set-up, maintain, update and expand system of data management and analysis for data dissemination and reporting;
- Set-up, maintain, update and expand system from automated data analysis and map production for donor reports and factsheets;
- Create and update monthly factsheets for areas of analysis across NES;
- Help ensure complete and timely reporting of activities, in accordance with sector, donor and HQ requirements;
- Provide technical support assessments and analysis for the DCA programme in NES, including creation and management of data collection tools, training on data cleaning and management techniques, support for data analysis, and ad hoc mapping support upon request;
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality of data and processes, and actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of information and data;
- Any other duties, as requested by CD.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Contribute to culture of excellence, continuous improvement and performance optimization across all projects;
- Be a role model for diversity and inclusion, as well as a positive role model for contributing to the team spirit.
We are looking for the following qualifications:
- University degree in Geography/GIS or a related discipline;
- 2 years of experience in GIS / Database management, preferably in humanitarian mine action context;
- Excellent knowledge of IMSMA forms and IMAS requirements related to data collection and recording;
- Considerable experience analysing complex data, knowledge of statistical programming languages and packages mandatory;
- Previous experience with mobile data collection;
- Knowledge of the Adobe Suite, particularly Illustrator and InDesign;
- Excellent team management skills;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Familiarity with the aid system, and understanding of donor and governmental requirements;
- Prior knowledge of the region an asset;
- Fluency in English essential. Working knowledge of Arabic an asset;
- Ability to operate Microsoft Word, Excel and Project Management Software;
- Ability to coordinate several projects simultaneously;
- Ability to maintain flexibility in an environment where change or revision to projects and planning is regular;
- Ability to fit well within a small team;
- High level of autonomy and willingness to spend time in deep field locations.
12-month contract starting as soon as possible, with possibility for renewal;
A competitive salary package based on experience level, hardship allowance, cost of living allowance, R&R, 40 days of annual leave;
Medical and accident insurances as per industry standards;
An opportunity to make a difference addressing humanitarian needs in a challenging environment.
HOW TO APPLY:
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for the vacancy. Only online applications consisting as a minimum of a CV and a cover letter will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for applications will be 22 November 2018. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis. DCA reserves the right to select a candidate prior to the deadline. https://www.danchurchaid.org/join-us/jobs/international-vacancies/geographic-information-system-gis-...