Education Field Assistant
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified individual to provide a service in the Humanitarian field as Education Field Assistant in Homs .
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been actively operating in Syria since 2008 mainly supporting refugees. In June 2012, DRC was authorized by the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) to expand its humanitarian efforts and provide assistance to IDPs and the vulnerable resident population countrywide. Since then, DRC activities have been focused on NFI distributions, Shelter, WASH, Protection, Education, Livelihoods and Mine Risk Education in six Governorates (Damascus, Rural Damascus, Dara'a, Aleppo, Hama, and Homs). While Protection/community service activities are provided to beneficiaries throughout our six Community Centers.
Overview of the Tasks:
The Education Field Assistant, in coordination and cooperation with the supporting staff, and supervised by the Education Officer, is substantially expected to function as a Field Monitor providing professional expertise and operational assistance for the education programme development, as well as different tasks as delegated by Education Officer, Specialist, and/or PM.
Tasks in Details:
- Liaising between school administration and Programme management.
- Conduct needs assessments when needed.
- Daily monitoring of the implementation of remedial classes and/or the Out of School Programme at the appointed school/s.
- Collect the required data regarding the implementation of programme according to the endorsed official templates from school principals.
- Reporting implementation progress, existing challenges, and required data to the Education Officer.
- Follow up on delivery of kits to schools and supervise stationery distribution to students.
- Represent DRC’s Education Programme at the schools; reflecting DRC’s image and values.
- Conduct preliminary meetings with school staff conveying the project’s methodology of implementation, values, and messages.
- Ensure delivery of required project formats to schools, ensure completion of such formats by school staff on time, and collecting the information upon completion.
- Arrange for and attend meetings with school principals and teachers as requested or upon need.
- Conduct daily field visits to Remedial Classes and/or the Out of School Programme and take documentary photos.
- Conduct focus group discussions with school principals, teachers, students, and parents to get their feedback under the supervision of MOE and Programme’s management.
- Ensure conducting pre-tests & post-tests on time and collect tests data.
- Assist in creating and developing the necessary formats, procedures, or operations to ensure proper implementation based on observation and feedback from students and school staff.
- Data entry when needed.
- Attend and supervise teachers’ training.
- Provide weekly and/ or half-monthly reports concerning the project’s progress and problems as well as the beneficiaries’ to the concerned superiors.
- Immediately inform the Education concerned superior of any out-of-the ordinary cases at schools including severe violations of the operational instructions and/or change of security status which threatens the safety of the beneficiaries or the school staff.
- Send collected data to Education Officer on time as requested via email.
- Suggest any improvements via providing feasible feedback based on field visits and schools’ needs on the ground.
- Commit to continuous training and learning to develop the Education activities
- Perform any other tasks requested by the Education Programme management.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have
- Higher Institute or Bachelor’s Degree.
- Previous similar experience with INGOs or UN Agencies
- Very good command of MS office applications
- Very good command of the English language.
- Fluent in Arabic language
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education.
- Two years of previous similar experience with INGOs or UN Agencies
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract Length: three months contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance.
According to the policy of the Danish Refugee Council service contract, payment will be made according to the working hours
Due to legal requirements, we are only allowed to consider applicants with Syrian or Syrian Palestinian nationality
Male candidates are highly encouraged to apply
Interested? Then apply for this position, go to
And click on "Apply for position".
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: the 9th of January 2019.
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.