Assistant Protection Officer
- The protection of populations of concern is met through the application of International and National Law, relevant UN/UNHCR protection standards and IASC principles.
- Protection activities are guided by the UNHCR country protection strategy.
- The participation of persons of concern is facilitated through supporting participatory, rights and community based approaches.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Observe and respect protection related Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Provide functional and administrative support in all protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Provide functional and administrative support in implementing participatory approaches, needs assessments, monitoring, reporting and case management.
- Support assessments on durable solutions through voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Facilitate liaison with competent authorities for the issuance of personal and other relevant documents.
- Assist in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating relevant databases and compiling statistics for the protection unit/section.
- Select persons of concern for preliminary interviews and decide which relevant information to share.
- Enforce integrity in the delivery of protection services by local implementing partners.
Education and Skills:
- Education: Completion of secondary school. Additional Training courses in protection related issues required.
- Job experience: relevant to the function: 2 years.
- Fluency in English and Arabic.
- Knowledge of another official UN language(s) an asset.
- Good computer skills.
Please apply in writing by completing and signing the Personal History Form (as per link below) and including an up to date CV as well as your motivation letter. Please also indicate the following vacancy announcement number, position title and location: UNHCR/VN/2019/16, Protection Assistant, SO Damascus
All applications must be submitted by e-mail to: SYRDAHUMANRES@unhcr.org indicating the vacancy number. No hard copies (paper applications) will be accepted.
Applications received will not be acknowledged, only the successful candidates will be notified of the outcome of the competitive process, and will be invited for a written test and an interview.
Non Syrian Arabs must attach their valid residence permit as well as a valid work permit. Applications received without these documents will not be considered.
A Personal History Form is attached for ease of reference and can also be downloaded from the following link: http://www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc
Please note that the Personal History Form is mandatory and must be SIGNED by the applicant.